Questions? Call New York Life at (800) 704-6505

Common questions about annuity claims

For customers of the AARP Annuity Program from New York Life Insurance and Annuity Corporation

How do I file a claim?

To start, call our toll free claims number 1-800-303-6681 to report the death. Our business hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday. A representative will help you complete your claim.

What documentation will I need to submit?

The beneficiary should provide a fully complete claim form and certified death certificate, as well as a WP-4 form. If the death is due to homicide, the beneficiary should also provide a copy of the final police report and/or the coroner's report and copies of any news articles.

How do I obtain a death certificate?

Most funeral homes will provide the family of the deceased with several certified death certificates. You can also contact the Vital Records Division in the state of the deceased for this document.

What is required if the beneficiary is an estate?

The court appointed executor/personal representative should submit the fully completed claim form, certified death certificate, Form W-4P, and copy of the court papers appointing the individual as the executor or personal representative of the estate.

What is required if a beneficiary is a trust?

The trustee should submit the fully completed claim form, Form W-4P, and a certified death certificate.

What is required if the beneficiary is a minor child?

If the child is under the age of majority (this varies according to state of residency), guardianship papers will need to be submitted with the claim form and certified death certificate.

What happens if there is no guardian named for the minor child?

The UTMA (Uniform Transfer to Minors Act) permits disbursement of funds to a minor child without guardianship papers. There are certain guidelines, and limitations determined by each state regarding disbursements of funds to a minor under this act. Contact New York Life for specific information.

Claims are paid by issuance of a check to the address provided on the claim form.

Can a payment be made to a funeral home?

Yes. If the beneficiary signs an assignment form authorizing us to direct payment of all or a portion of the proceeds to a funeral home and the assignment is received prior to the claim being settled.

Why does a beneficiary, estate or trust need to provide their Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number?

The claim cannot be process without this information. Interest is paid on most claims for the date of death until the date the claim is paid. The Social Security Number or Federal Tax Identification Number is required to report interest payments to the Internal Revenue Service.

When is a Federal Tax Identification Number utilitized?

A Federal Tax Identification Number will be issued to an estate of a deceased or to a trust. The Federal Tax Identification Number is used to report the interest paid to an estate or a trust.

What is a primary beneficiary?

The person(s) or entity designated by the annuitant to receive the death benefit.

What is a secondary/contingent beneficiary?

The person(s) or entity designated by the insured to to receive the death benefit in the event the primary beneficiary dies before the annuitant, disclaims the death benefit or is disqualified under law.

What is a Form W-4P?

This is an IRS form for U.S. citizens, resident alients, or their estates who are recipients of pensions, annuities (including commercial annuities), and certain other deferred compensation. Our claims representatives can provide more information, but you may also want to consult a tax professional if you have additional questions.

What is a Form 1099-INT?

Forms 1099-INT are utilitized to report to the Internal Revenue Services interest payments made to an individual or entity (such as a trust or estate) during any calendar year. Forms 1099-INT are mailed to an individual or entity in January of the year following the interest payment. Form 1099-INT informs the individual or entity of the interest amount paid to be reported on their tax return.